CIGNA members: Please note that you may receive a letter in the mail stating that The Dermatology Center of Indiana is no longer in your network. This communication from CIGNA is incorrect and we would like to reassure you that we are still in network with CIGNA. We look forward to continuing to service you and your family for all your dermatology needs.

5 Skin Conditions Indicating You Should See a Dermatologist

You can take care of many skin problems and imperfections on your own, but others conditions may require the expert eye and experienced guidance of a professional. Dermatologists are experts at dealing with all sorts of skin problems. Even more importantly, a good dermatologist can tell the difference between a benign skin problem and something that may be more serious.

If you suffer from any of the following 5 skin conditions, you should make an appointment with your dermatologist as soon as possible. Each of these skin conditions could be serious, especially if the issues are not addressed promptly.

Mole Discoloration

A change in the appearance of a mole is often the first sign of skin cancer. If you spot any changes or discolorations in any of your moles, you need to contact a dermatologist right away.

Skin cancer is one of the most curable forms of cancer, but early intervention is essential. If left untreated, the skin cancer can spread, making it much more difficult to treat and even putting your life at risk.

Dark Spots

Sometimes an increase in dark spots is just a normal sign of aging, but it is impossible to know without consulting a dermatologist. A good dermatologist can look at the dark spots on your face and body and let you know if they are normal or something to worry about.

Even if the dermatologist finds the dark spots are no big deal, they can help you reduce their appearance with special creams and lotions. If you have dark spots on your skin, you should make an appointment with your dermatologist right away.

Dry Skin

Dry skin can be very annoying, and in some cases it can be painful and even disfiguring. If you have been trying to treat your dry skin on your own but it still persists, you need to contact a dermatologist as soon as possible.

A good dermatologist can help you determine what is causing your dry skin and give you pointers for treating it more effectively. Whether your dry skin is the result of environmental factors or an underlying health condition, a good dermatologist can help you fight it.

Severe Sunburn

Sun damage is a big deal, and frequent sun exposure raises your risk of skin cancer and premature aging. If you were out in the sun a little too long and got a mild sunburn, you can probably treat it yourself with some aloe lotion or a commercial sunburn preparation.

You should see a dermatologist if your sunburn is more severe, however. Sunburns that are accompanied by a painful rash or blistering are always cause for concern, so make an appointment as soon as you can. Dermatologists have access to prescription medications that can make the sunburn feel better, but more importantly they have the expertise needed to check your skin for hidden damage and warning signs of skin cancer.


Redness can be a precursor to swelling and pain, and the pain can be quite severe. Even if you only suspect you are suffering from rosacea, you should see your dermatologist without delay.

Redness around the nose is often the first sign of roseate. If you notice an increase in redness, itching or swelling, be sure to contact a professional for a diagnosis and treatment plan.

Caring for your skin is important for your appearance and your overall health. Part of skin care is knowing when to get help, and if you suffer from any of the 5 conditions listed above that skin care regiment should include a call to your dermatologist.

Disclaim: This blog pro­vides gen­eral infor­ma­tion and dis­cus­sion about medical, cosmetic, mohs, and surgical dermatology. The words and other con­tent pro­vided in this blog, and in any linked mate­ri­als, are not intended and should not be con­strued as med­ical advice. If the reader or any other per­son has a med­ical con­cern, he or she should con­sult with an appropriately-licensed dermatologist or other health care worker.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *