Aging is inevitable. We all go through it. In fact, we’re all doing it right now! No matter your gender, race, or ethnicity, sooner or later we all find ourselves standing in front of the mirror wondering where all these lines came from. But you don’t have to look your age. Heck, you don’t even have to act your age! Thanks to advancements in science and dermatology, it is possible to age gracefully with the help of Botox injections.
What is Botox
Botox is the most popular cosmetic surgery treatment available today. It’s approved uses include the treatment of muscle spasms, severe underarm sweating, chronic migraine headaches, and of course, wrinkles. Botox work by reducing the activity of muscles in the face that overtime lead to fine lines and wrinkles. By blocking nerve signals to that cause muscles to contract, the injected muscle will relax and soften. This treatment option works best on dynamic wrinkles that appear when the face is in motion or making expression (like your eyebrows and forehead). On average, Botox effects will last anywhere from 2-5 months and doesn’t require any recovery time. You’ll achieve the best results if you continue with the injections.
When should I get Botox?
If you ask a dermatologist at what chronological age patients should start considering Botox injections, you’ll probably get several different answers. This is because the need for Botox will depend on several different factors:
- Skin color. Many dermatologists recommend that Caucasian skin should start Botox injections in their late 30s to early 40s. Men and women of color can usually begin injections in their mid-late 40s.
- How much time sun exposure do you get? People who spend their summers by the pool tend to seek Botox injections at an earlier age than those who didn’t spend a lot of time in the sun.
- You can thank your mom and dad for this one. The location and severity of facial lines and wrinkles are heavily influenced by heredity. This means that some people are more genetically pre-disposed to have wrinkles than others.
- What you want to accomplish. Are you trying to erase wrinkles, or prevent them? Preventative Botox could begin as early as your 20s, especially if your family is pre-disposed to deep-set wrinkles.
- Muscle movement. A good rule of thumb for preventative Botox is to start getting injections when you start noticing lines or wrinkles that no longer disappear after you relax your face. This might happen for men and women who experience more muscle movement in their facial expressions.
There’s no perfect age when it comes to starting Botox. In fact, it’s really never too early to begin preventative Botox if you want your skin to maintain its youthful appearance for decades to come. When to begin treatment is a decision that will be made on a case-by-case basis with your dermatologist.
Call the Dermatology Center of Indiana today to schedule an appointment. We can’t wait to work with you!
Disclaim: This blog provides general information and discussion about medical, cosmetic, mohs, and surgical dermatology. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with an appropriately-licensed dermatologist or other health care worker.