Botox is the most popular cosmetic surgery treatment available today. Botox works by reducing the activity of muscles in the face that overtime lead to fine lines and wrinkles. By blocking nerve signals that cause muscles to contract, the injected muscle will relax and soften.
Like all cosmetic procedures, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of Botox before making a decision and committing to treatment.
Pros of Botox
- Botox prevents the repetitive movements that will eventually result in wrinkles. It works best on dynamic wrinkles that appear when the face is in motion or making expression (like your eyebrows and forehead).
- On average, Botox effects will last anywhere from 2-5 months and doesn’t require any recovery time. You’ll achieve the best results if you continue every few months with injections.
- Since Botox is temporary, if you decide you don’t like it after your first injection, the effects will fade after several months.
- Botox is a quick procedure to administer, lasting only less than 15 minutes per treatment.
- When done correctly and by a trained professional, Botox is a safe procedure.
Cons of Botox
- Botox can prohibit certain facial movements, resulting in decreased facial expressions.
- Rarely, allergic reactions to Botox have been reported.
- Side effects rarely include bruising at the injection site.
- Since Botox is temporary, if you decide you do like it after your first injection, you will need to continue regular treatments every few months to maintain the effects.
The Dermatology Center of Indiana services Frankfort, Kokomo, Lafayette, West Lafayette and Lebanon along with many other cities throughout Indiana. Join us today in one of our locations where you are always welcome!